Thierry Mugler’s Original Unseen Video for “Too Funky” Leaked 21 Years Later

By  |  21 Comments

‘Too Funky’ – Director’s Cut – Thierry Mugler’s original director’s cut of George Michael’s “Too Funky” video is pretty spectacular. It differs quite a bit from the official clip, which focused on a few models strutting down a runway. Compared to the official version, this original take, directed by the fashion designer, had many more models featured (female and male) and an arguably more coherent storyline.

Founder & Editor of - I am not a journalist, I am not a blogger, and I am not a writer.

March 16, 2013 at 8:10 PM

When MUgler was actually cool and mattered….

• Guido Aerosol

September 13, 2014 at 4:46 PM

your comments are always so negative sado, its true that Thierry Mugler after Mugler left the brand no longer matters, but him, who directed the clip, is still a very cool person, you should go and see his show in Paris

• Kamen

September 13, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Mugger will ALWAYS matter. So much so he evokes a retort from you. Even though it’s an IGNORANT one. I’d love to see what you have accomplished that will be commented on 20 years later. I’d like to see what you’ve accomplished yesterday that might be of note!

• Ashley Scott

February 4, 2015 at 11:08 PM

How dare you when Manfred Thierry Mugler is directing and designing million dollar productions right now. The Wyld in berlin and Mugler Follies in Paris..
      When I stalked eBay for days to get a Thierry Mugler suit that is the best fucking piece Ive ever seen..Check your facts honey. He will always matter.

2. Robert Saenz

March 16, 2013 at 8:39 PM

anybody else catch the first use of lady gaga feather head and beyonce motorcycle get up? what a bunch of no talents.

• cyberagga

March 23, 2013 at 7:16 PM

very good eye! i guess to be fair to beyonce, it should be noted that Mugler was the costume director for her tour…i wonder if she even knew he was putting her into a 20-year old outfit?

3. GM Theother GM

March 17, 2013 at 12:25 AM

that clip is actually mine…it was used for a compilation years ago…iive had that for years now…

• UMac40

February 3, 2015 at 9:39 PM

You are one delusional motherfuc&er.

4. Vincent Bernard

March 19, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Beverly Peele looked amazing in this video

• Kamen

September 13, 2014 at 6:46 PM

5. Alley Kat

May 7, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Did anyone spot Uber Drag Icons “Joey Arias” & “Lipsynca”?

• Kamen

September 13, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Didn’t remember Joey in the released Version but Lipsynka was definitely in the released version.

6. ricky rocky

September 14, 2014 at 12:20 AM

love to see this HD. scrillions of times better than what was orig released !

September 14, 2014 at 5:04 AM

i love this

8. Derek Nicoletto

September 15, 2014 at 8:25 AM

This makes me feel a tightness in my pant area.

9. Poppycockie

September 15, 2014 at 9:22 AM

SOOOOO much better! These were all my favourite models back then and I would have gone crazy for this if I saw it back in ’92. I can’t believe that they edited out Shana Zadrick and Beverly Peele from the originally released version … They looked incredible! And Linda and Estelle shone way brighter…

10. James Taylor

September 15, 2014 at 7:37 PM

This is really interesting to watch 21 (!) years later. I agree that this video is a bit more cohesive, although it’s far less campy than the officially released version. Unless I missed it, there’s also no clips of George, which are in the official version (fleeting glimpses of him behind a camera, which in hindsight were perhaps label-mandated insertions)?

• Ardow

September 16, 2014 at 1:46 PM

I think one of the things that caused George and Mr. Mugler to disagree would be the drag queens that were also featured. Mistress Formica being the most recognizable face backstage. George was not out at the time and I have a feeling he would have found it was too gay oriented. The official video version did have inserts of George behind a camera, but that was George’s idea. This was a non George Michael Album track, so he was willing to be in it as little as possible, as he was not appearing in his own albums video’s at that time.

• Robb Stone

February 4, 2015 at 5:05 PM

Mistress Formica isn’t in this video. And even if she were, she wouldn’t be as recognizable as Joey Arias or Lipsyncha. And George M wasn’t out because his draconian recording contract wouldn’t let him be out. That’s why he’d stopped appearing in his own videos, in protest.

• Ardow

February 4, 2015 at 8:29 PM

See I remember him talking about the video at the time and saying that he was not in his own video’s at that time because he wanted the extreme fame he had to die down a little and it was also a way for him to protest his contract with his record label, which he wanted out from under. And while I may have been mistaken about the Queens, At the time had Theirry’s version been released…it would have been too gay for many people.

11. Bruce Devery

February 4, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Any idea what DVD this is on? It lists a title at the beginning but that’s not a George Michael DVD unless it’s a bootleg……….

You must be logged in to post a comment Login