Taking Care Of Your Largest Organ…
Now that I have your attention¦I am talking about your skin.
If you’re investing time in a regular workout routine, your body thanks you, but your skin may be paying the price. Keep in mind that a quick shower and a rinse with antibacterial soap may not be the best post-workout skincare regime. And you don’t always have to spend hundreds of dollars on the MOST expensive skin care products.
Here are a few tips for cleansing and caring for your skin after the gym to maximize the benefits of your workout while giving you
younger, healthier, better-looking skin.
1. Rinse your face with cold water. Guys have larger pores than woman, so your skin is naturally prone to being oilier. Try a
deep-cleansing lotion instead of your usual soap. Use products that are odor-free and contain natural ingredients. Just because something smells great doesn’t mean it works well.
2. Two, Four, Six, Eight”now its time to exfoliate!
Once a month, include a mild exfoliant between your deep cleanser and your astringent. An exfoliant will gently remove dead skin cells and leave your face smooth and rejuvenated. Be sure to look for products that are formulated to work gently and do not include pieces of nuts or seeds, as these can damage your newly invigorated skin.
3. If you battle oily skin, an astringent can help control the oils that your skin will continue to excrete for an hour or more after your workout. Look for products that contain alpha hydroxy acid, an ingredient that helps to refine and minimize pores, plus helps prevent ingrown hairs. If the product is photosensitive, use a sunscreen before going outside.
4. Always moisturize after you shower, and use a light moisturizer on your face, paying special attention to the skin around your eyes. Look for products that list Vitamin E as an ingredient and that are oil-free. Regular use of a good quality moisturizer (make sure it has a sunscreen) can help keep those crow’s feet from forming.
And always moisturize while your skin is moist”right after the shower or after your wash your face Never go to bed alone! Always apply a light layer of your favorite night cream. And don’t forget to use a daytime lotion with an SPF factor . You want to protect your face from the ravages of ultra-violet rays. Here is a little tip “switch out your cotton pillowcase for a satin or silk one. The fabric will be better for your skin and will not promote irritation. Silk is always cooler to the touch. And it will be better for your hair too. If you move around at night, the friction from your pillow case can cause your hair to pull and break.
5. Drink adequate amounts of water after your workout. Most experts recommend eight 12 oz. glasses per day, more if you’re exercising. While you’re in the gym, hydration is easy to remember, but after you leave is when it’s most important. Not only does water return much-needed moisture to your muscles, it also helps to flush out toxins. Keep a spray bottle of water at your desk. If you feel dry or need a quick pick up during the day, give yourself a light spritz of water. Don’t use a towel”let it air dry.
6. Keep in mind that too much alcohol will dry your skin. And when you are in a plane, traveling to your next business meeting, make sure to pack your favorite face cream and use it a few times in flight.
It might take some trial and error before you find the right products or combination of products that work best for you. . You can find many terrific products at your local CVS or Walgreens. Take a moment and read the back of the packages. Also do not automatically reach for the Men’s Skin Care products. They are often priced at a premium to the Women’s line and contain the same ingredients.
Remember, just because the product is beautifully packaged and sold at your favorite high-end department store doesn’t mean it’s the best choice for your skin.